So today FedEx made be very happy. I received a package with some great vExpert goodies (messenger bag, travel tag and the awesome certificate). Thank you John, Alex and the rest of the awesome folks at VMware who helped send this over to my doorstep.
Now I know most of you must be saying so what’s the big deal? Well it is a big freaking deal. Because that not all you get. Over the course of the year you are spoiled completely with things like:
- License of all kinds (vSphere, View, vShield, vCloud SRM etc)
- Access to Beta programs (imagine running vSphere 5 before it got released, seeing vCOM in action)
- Access to new solutions that are in the making
- Access to some secrets that could put your life at risk (ok just kidding, but some good pre-release info etc)
- Conferences of all kind..
- Access to an awesome vExpert community (remember being surrounded by smart people is an awesome thing)
- Opportunity to speak with people who love to hear your feedback which means you could in fact have an influence on some next major solution/release
- Cool corner at VMworld/PEX for you to hangout with the gurus
- And a few more things that I don’t think I am allowed to talk about (just to be clear, it’s all good)
Basically its everything that I mentioned and a whole lot more, in theory you will not be able to consume all that is offered because if you do so your spouse will begin to hate you and your kids will forget your face. So there, if you ever wanted to get a deep dive and an opportunity to make a difference, here is your chance. Not to mention you also get to be called a vExpert which is pretty awesome as well. But in all seriousness it’s more about having the opportunity to enhance your skills and introduce yourself to all kinds solutions that you didn’t even know existed. See how the industry is changing and how you can position your organization so that you look like a rockstar every single day. IT is all about learning till the last day, and with the vExpert program the learning never ends.
Enough said, so how exactly do you become a vExpert? You will have to go on a 1000 mile run followed by some rock climbing, grab the bucket of water from the top the mountain and bring it down without spilling anything on a bike that’s lit on fire.. ok seriously it’s very simple and straight forward. And trust me the application process has become even simpler (no, I am not saying anyone will get accepted, you just don’t have to fill out a bunch of stuff like one had to in the past). The standards are still high, if you are deserving, the panel will see it and you will make it.
What is the vExpert program and what’s the criteria to become one?
to honour individuals who go above and beyond their everyday job requirements to share their technical knowledge and expertise with others; to help enable these individuals to make an even greater impact in the world; and to keep a high standard of vExpert recipients
If you think that you fit the bill, go to the address here vmware.com/go/vexpert2012 and see what path you qualify for and apply. Hurry up, the applications are only open until March 15th 2012. Sometime’s the hardest part is taking the first step
Edit: After receiving some comments on Twitter, I just want to clarify something, the stuff I got was for last year. The vExperts 2012 are not announced yet and you can still apply until March 15th 2012. Obviously vExperts 2012 will not be announced until some time after March 15th.